- Allows your Ruby on Rails applications to use 33% less memory on average, when used in combination with Phusion Passenger.
- 100% compatible with the official Ruby interpreter, version 1.8.7.
- Well-tested and extremely stable.
- Easy to install, either via a native Linux package or via the included installer.
- Can be installed in parallel with regular Ruby. 100% self-contained, 0% installation risk!
What is it?Ruby Enterprise Edition is a server-oriented friendly branch of Ruby which includes various enhancements:
- A copy-on-write friendly garbage collector. Phusion Passenger uses this, in combination with a technique called preforking, to reduce Ruby on Rails applications' memory usage by 33% on average.
- An improved memory allocator called tcmalloc, which improves performance quite a bit.
- The ability to tweak garbage collector settings for maximum server performance, and the ability to inspect the garbage collector's state. (RailsBench GC patch)
- The ability to dump stack traces for all running threads (caller_for_all_threads), making it easier for one to debug multithreaded Ruby web applications.
I'm just interested in reducing memory usage. How do I use it?
And that's it. It should be a completely drop-in and transparent experience.
See the FAQ page if you want to know more about Ruby Enterprise Edition.